3 Oct 2023

My Challenge to Make a Marble Run Machine - The Wavy Rail

The CNC router is a very convenient machine to cut. On the other hand, it requires some experience to use as you want it to be. I haven't used laser cutters, but it's easy to imagine CNC routers are more difficult to handle than laser cutters because you have to care about the height of the z-axis. 

 

While Juno had been to Japan to meet his parents, I didn't use the CNC routers because I was sure I would have made mistakes.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if someone who was a beginner using CNC routers broke many router bits or cut the point they didn't want to. There are many pitfalls using CNC routers. I'm lucky Juno warns me every time I do something stupid. I've now got used to using the CNC router a little bit. I can notice my mistakes before I make them, but still, it's not easy to manage.

 

I made a rail for my marble wirh the CNC router run machine yesterday.


It was the rail to supply balls to an oval tray. It would be more fun to make a wavy rail rather than a straight rail. The wavy shape can fill in unnecessary room, and it looks nicer.

 

Firstly, I drew the picture of the rail using ViaCAD as usual. Then, I exported the data as a DXF file and imported it to CamBam. Setting the data into CamBam is one of the hurdles. Depending on the data, it's important to set the starting point. I put the starting point when I cut the wavy rail.

 

Cutting a wavy rail with a groove by hand is challenging. Using the CNC router can make it nicely and quickly. 

 

Even though the groove can be cut easily using a T-shape bit. Here is the T-shape bit I used this time. It was so convenient.

The balls run smoothly on the rail, and I'm happy with the result.

I'm now thinking about a design for the next part. Hopefully, I'll be able to show you something unique next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment