7 Jul 2018

My first mini puzzle - 6 Board Burr #2


I've been having a small dream, as a matter of fact, it is a really small dream because I wanted to open a miniature bakery or bookshop on my desk. Yes, it's a dollhouse size shop. I like miniatures and dioramas very much. I have made miniature breads, tote-bags, books and furniture before.

At first, I made 1/6th scale miniatures because I didn't want to make miniatures that didn't have a function like a real one. For example, I didn't want to make miniature bags that looked realistic but couldn't contain anything inside.
However, the worldwide standard size of dollhouses seems 1/12 scale, so I have started making 1/12 scale miniature furniture and miniature breads.
Please have a look at the picture below. There are my 1/12 scale miniature furniture.

 

It's just an aside, but one day, Juno (my husband) asked me if I had some extra miniature bread. So, I gave him two miniatures and he put them into the inside of one of our puzzles, Heart Case, and sent it to Kevin. If you are a reader of Kevin's blog, I think you already knew. If you are not, please have a look at Kevin's blog.
Kevin's blog: PuzzleMad - Et tu Juno?

Let's get back to the main topic.
I like miniatures and made several things, but still I felt something missing. 

Of course, it's a puzzle!
Why haven't I made any puzzles!?
There are some timber offcuts and tools at the work place. (I and my husband run a family business of making wooden puzzles.) Alright, let's make a quick move!

I looked for a suitable design of a puzzle and found one that looks easy to make on Juno's website. (Honestly, I thought it's easy in the beginning, but it wasn't.) It's a puzzle named "6 Board Burr #2." Then, I found some thin timber. 

I thought that two colours would look nice, so have chosen one white timber and two brown timbers. Using these timbers, I made a sandwich for making it firmer. It took about a half day to dry the glue. The timber was still an uneven thickness, so I put it through into the drum sander which is one of my favorite machines. 
The next step was making a 3D data. I drew lines looking at Juno's website picture and exported the data of DXF. The DXF file was imported to the software for the CNC router and did settings for the CNC router, then it was ready to cut.

I was a bit worried if I made any mistakes, as all the pieces would be damaged. Therefore, what I did was cut one piece first. This is the first piece I have cut. Hmm, it looks good.
After I made sure of the first piece, I have cut the rest of the other five pieces.
I thought I should have set more deep cutting because every piece was connected with thin timber underneath and it wasn't easy to take apart. Anyway, these pieces looked good.
I sanded each edge and corner using sandpaper and several types of diamond files. The work on these pieces was a bit hard because the pieces were small, but the tools were not so small.

Finally, the work was completed after various work. The pieces aren't sprayed yet, but they look good. I was excited and couldn't wait until they are sprayed.


Here it is, my first mini-puzzle!
Honestly, this puzzle is not so small as a miniature. I would like to make miniature puzzles if I have suitable tools.

Before I end this blog, I'll give you a quiz. 
I have made a mistake during the process of making the puzzle. 
Can you guess what it was?

Maybe it's difficult to answer even if you could see the pictures well. The answer is I glued three timbers in the same direction. To make timber firm and not twist, I had to glue the middle timber 90 degrees rotated. I noticed after I glued them, but it was too late.

Well, I'll do it well next time. What puzzle shall I make next?
Please look forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Now I make an appearance on your blog! Thank you!

    I’m loving your musings.

    Kevin
    Puzzlemad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete