9 Apr 2023

Making A Tiny Automaton in Frame

I have been making a marble run machine. It is almost half done. The next step is creating a new mechanism for the rest of the half part, but I am now stuck. I am still trying to think of a new idea.
The best thing to do when I am stuck is to do something different. On such an occasion, my husband said that two little frame-like trays remained, and he did not need them anymore. It would be a good opportunity for change, and I got two little trays.

These trays were originally for containing puzzle pieces. They look beautiful, and I did not want to waste them. All right, let me think about how I could use the trays.
Luckily, it took a short time to get an idea. I decided to make a tiny automaton using those trays. It is like a picture in a frame but an automaton.
Then, there is an issue, the size. The tray is too small. Is it possible to make small gears that are suitable for the tray?
I remember I bought a piece of thin plywood last month just in case I need to make something small. What a right time it was! I can use it for making gears. The inside of the frame is 8 cm square (3.14 in), and the depth is 1.35 cm (0.53 in). It is no problem, even if some parts stick out from the frame.

I want to make a flower automaton first. I know it takes work to design. I had made the flower automaton before. The mechanism of the first flower automaton was complicated, so I could not use the same design this time, which meant I had to think of a new one.

I am always pushing myself in this way. Yes, I know. I am amazed at my own inquisitive mind, even though it requires lots of effort, I cannot stop. However, this bad habit lets me challenge myself and learn new things. If I had not had this tendency, I believe I would have been making the same mechanism again and again, and it had not been improved.
I roughly drew two designs. I still need to find out which is the better idea. Are those ideas good enough to make?
I hope to write about my new tiny automaton on this blog if I can finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment