14 Mar 2023

Oh, Friction

I've been thinking of a new part for my marble run machine. I got an idea last night and explained it to my husband, Juno. He said it wouldn't work well due to friction.
Friction! Oh, no! I had forgotten about friction.
It might be alright if I make it with metal, but I want to make it with wood.
Friction is always a pain in the neck. The frictional force will be changed depending on the wood.

Recently, Juno made a loop for the marble run for me. This part was what I didn't think I could make. Until we set the loop onto the board of the marble run, we were unsure how far the balls would fly because of the friction. If there was no friction, how much easier to think of the design?

The idea of the new part is my favourite, and I want to keep it. When I got the idea of the Flower Automaton, I didn't think I could make it, but I could. It's too early to give it up.


If you haven't read the blog post about the flower automaton, please visit the page below.
https://puzzlesense.blogspot.com/2021/04/the-flower-automaton.html

I hope to be able to write about the new part here.

No comments:

Post a Comment