4 Jan 2023

My Challenge to Make a Marble Run Machine - The Lifting Functions

I made big progress on the marble run machine project today. Having said that, it doesn't mean I have finished making it. I assembled several gears for lifting balls.

The mechanism for lifting balls consists of three gears.


The gears were big, so I used ball bearings to make them rotate smoothly. This was the first time I used ball bearings.

As shown in the picture below, these three giant gears mesh with each other, and they can lift balls. 

I struggled a lot with designing these gears. I had done many operation confirmations, and I made false ones several times. While rotating gears, balls in the cavity of the gears easily drop. Therefore, I had to think it out. 


I knew the easiest way was to make gears tilt and make a guard preventing dropping balls. However, I have often seen this type of marble run machine, so I wanted to create something different and create this function.

Anyway, I somehow finished making the lifting system. The timber that was going to be pot mats has now changed to gears. I lost the opportunity to get new pot mats, instead, I got three thick beautiful gears, so I am happy with the result.


I attached a board to the living room wall for the marble run machine with my husband's help. The board is Aucoumea klaineana, its size was 600 mm x 1200 mm (23.6 in x 47.2 in)

After attaching the board, these gears and chains were attached to the board. There were not yet rails for balls, but the ball-lifting function was finally finished. It was a long way to reach this step.


The next step is designing a gear with a handle that will be a power source and rails. I have already got some ideas about how to run balls. I love thinking about these kinds of things. I want to start designing as soon as possible, but I have got some jobs to get done. I will begin making the marble run machine after I finish the job.

I will update you when I make any progress on this blog.
See you then.



No comments:

Post a Comment