7 Dec 2022

My Challenge to Make a Marble Run Machine - Making A Big Gear

After long consideration and experiments, I finally started cutting one of the marble run machine's gears using the CNC router. 

I got the material for gears accidentally and luckily. One day, Juno said he had made some board using timber off-cuts. Initially, he thought those boards were suitable for a pot mat. However, those boards were thick and looked good for gears, so I got them.

 


If you have experience using a CNC router you may know, it's not easy to use CNC routers. There are pitfalls everywhere. Forgetting to make sure of the coordinates, using the wrong size bit, wrongly measuring the thickness of a material, anything can happen.
Today, I didn't notice, and I almost broke a bit. A small mistake can cause big damage.

 
The other difficulty of using a CNC router is how to fix a material. Sometimes, it's hard to find a space to keep a material steady. If you fix hold-down jigs very close to the cutting position, a bit might hit the jig and break a bit. I'm sure anyone who has used a CNC router has made several mistakes. Nevertheless, I like the machine because it helps to make my dream come true.

As you can see, there are lots of holes in the gear. These holes have a meaning for each of them. One of the reasons is making the gear lighter. The material was thick, and it took about 40 minutes to cut only the outside. I must make two more same types of gear. 



 

I want to make the next gear as soon as possible. I hope that I can report back on the progress of my marble run machine here soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment