4 Oct 2022

Bill Bailey's Video

When I first arrived in Australia, I was bewildered by several words I hadn't learnt in Japan. One of the words is "awesome." I remember "awesome" very quickly because everybody said, "Awesome!" quite often.


In daily conversation, TV, and everywhere, there is "Awesome!" I sometimes wondered whether there isn't any other adjective to replace it.
However, it's easy to use words that are already remembered, especially for me, who isn't a native English speaker. If you cannot think of any good adjective, you can use "Awesome." It's convenient.

Australians are friendly and cheerful. When they say, "Awesome!" it always sounds bright and happy. I like that.

Coincidentally, I found a fun video of Bill Bailey, a British comedian. I usually need help to understand the talk of stand-up comedians. However, I could understand the beginning of his video. He talks about Australians who love to say, "Awesome. His story's hilarious. He explains Americans and Australians are much more positive and upbeat. That's what I thought.

It seems like the British sense of humour is masochistic and sarcastic. I like that.
I want to watch his video more, yet I need help understanding jokes in English. I need to know the background of society and customs. If you are interested, please watch Bill Bailey's video, "What British Happiness Looks Like." It's hilarious.

What British Happiness Looks Like - Bill Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment