2 May 2018

Looks simple but difficult - Tricky Dick

If you have plenty of time and want to be puzzled, I know the one that will satisfy you.
It looks a simple structure, but is difficult to solve. It's Tricky Dick, designed by Rick Eason.


This puzzle is not new, so I think some readers have already seen it. I got this puzzle about six or seven years ago. I have heard this is a difficult puzzle, but I thought I could solve it. What happened was, I had been playing with it for about one month and couldn't solve it. I left it on my bookshelf and have forgotten about it for a long time, and I recalled that I still didn't solve it yet. 


Tricky Dick is a disentanglement puzzle. The target of this puzzle is to take out a ring. Simple, isn't it? The ring is slightly smaller than a disk connected to the end of a strap. The strap is long. I wonder if the length of the strap is the key to solve it?
 

I don't know if it's good or bad, this puzzle is high cost-effective. It's a reasonable price and can be enjoyed for a long time. Well, if you are a genius, maybe it can't be high cost-effective though. 


This puzzle is one of my favorite top 10 puzzles. I like a puzzle which has a simple structure, is not a black box type design and is difficult to solve. Tricky Dick is available on Mr Puzzle's online shop.

If you want to be puzzled, please try!
 
 
* Mechanical Puzzles - Rick Eason : Tricky Dick 
* Mr Puzzle online shop : Tricky Dick

2 comments:

  1. I have a funny story about this puzzle. At a recent IPP in Tokyo, I was chatting with Rick Eason and mentioned that I had recently purchased this puzzle and had been unable to solve it. "I can solve it behind by back!" he boasted. So I produced the puzzle and asked for a demonstration. To make a long story short, he was unable to solve it behind his back! He had not seen the puzzle for some years, so it was snot surprising. He did eventually solve it, but he had to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he could solve it without seeing before.
      I haven't solved Tricky Dick yet, but I think I have been pulling those strings that are connected to the timber parts when I was playing for a looong time. So, the strings of the puzzle might be stretched little by little and become longer and I could solve it someday. It might happen or maybe not?

      Delete