5 May 2018

Escher - Memories of the Netherlands

What do you imagine when you hear the word "Netherlands"?
Wind turbines, beautiful flowers, cheese or if you like arts, you may imagine Vincent W. van Gogh's pictures. To me, the first thing I imagine is Maurits Cornelis Escher.

M. C. Escher is famous in Japan. I think Japanese like Escher, and I'm no exception. As evidence of that, exhibitions of the work of Escher are sometimes held in Japan. I have just searched for the keyword "Escher" on the internet, here it is, I found an exhibition of Escher at The Ueno Royal Museum, Tokyo which opens from 6th June 2018.

Therefore, I was convinced that Dutch immigrants who live in Australia knew about Escher, and told them I like Escher's works, but nobody knew. I can think that the people whom I asked accidentally might not know Escher, but it's still surprising. I thought Escher was one of the famous people in the Netherlands.

His works are the fusion of mathematics and art which make me feel infinity and circulation. Well, I'm not a native English speaker and don't have enough vocabulary to describe his amazing works. I'll entrust comments about Escher's works to experts.

It's a bit of an old memory, my husband, Juno, and I attended The Bridges Conference, Leeuwarden, Netherlands in 2008. In that year, the International Puzzle Party (IPP) was held in Prague, Czech, so we thought that it was a good opportunity to join both, The Bridges first and then visit the IPP.

Here are pictures I took in Leeuwarden where Escher was born. The first picture was taken at the workshop of Juno's Spinner Truncated Icosahedron. This polyhedron is famous as a soccer ball. I think one of the most famous polyhedra that everybody knows.
The second picture was our outdoor shop. The attendee who wanted to sell their own works could open a small shop in Leeuwarden. There was an unexpected thing that happened. The shop we were allowed to use was just in front of Escher's birth house! In the picture below, the brick house behind Juno is Escher's birth house. This is an unforgettable memory for me.

There was another lucky occurrence. It was almost at the end of The Bridges Conference, we could see Escher's work. There were lots of his works there. If it had been held in Japan, the place would have been crowded but there were only our friend, Juno and me, three of us. I took lots of pictures but I'm not sure about copyrights' law, so I refrained to upload the pictures.

I could spend wonderful times in the Netherlands.
I would like to visit the Netherlands someday again.

* The Bridges Organization
http://www.bridgesmathart.org/
* Juno's World "Juno's Spinner" 
http://www.polyhedra.jp/polyhedron/js/index-e.html
* Juno’s Spinner (Dodecahedron Model) 
https://www.pluredro.com/shop/product/junos-spinner-dodecahedron-model/

No comments:

Post a Comment