30 Apr 2018

I love Stairs 2 - Stairs in movies

Continued from the last journal, I would like to write about the same subject again. 
As a stairs lover, there are movies I cannot ignore.


Inception

If you are a puzzle lover, I guess you may be interested in Penrose Steps.
In the movie "Inception", there's a scene of two people going through the stairs in a Paradoxical architecture.

Please look at the video as shown below. In the video, from the time of 20 seconds, Penrose Steps will appear.



This movie is special because I love the world of three-dimensional rooms in the movie. I remember one of the characters, Cobb, looks for someone who can create a three-dimensional world for his job and he meets Ariadne.


There is a scene in which Cobb gives Ariadne a test to draw a maze. The test is drawing a maze, isn't it interesting? If you are a reader who has been reading my blog, you can guess I like mazes. This is a fiction story, but if it's a real story and I saw a help-wanted advertisement, I would definitely apply. This is the ideal job for me.

There is another stair scene in the movie, two men fight in a place which looks like an emergency staircase, and the lower stairs move and connect to the upper stairs. It reminds me of Escher's work.
"Inception" is full of three-dimensional scenes and I can enjoy seeing it again and again.


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

The second movie is one of the Harry Potter series. As you know, the main characters live in a dormitory and there are several staircases there. I like a scene where a staircase moves suddenly and changes the direction where it connects. It is truly a witches and wizards school, isn't it?

Spirited Away

Spirited Away is a Japanese animated film. A ten-year-old girl goes into a magical world unwillingly. She gets a job and lives in a big old Japanese bathhouse. That's house that has stairs and I like that three-dimensional space. This animated film makes me think how the structure of the bathhouse looks like. It's not only me, I found a guy who made the bathhouse by 3D software, it's awesome.
Here is the video of the 3D Spirited Away bathhouse.




Everyone has different tastes, and it depends on his or her preference, the rating can be different. My preference is related to space perception, so I like a movie that describes space and sometimes time. To sum up, I love "Inception" the most.
While I'm writing this journal, I noticed that all three movie stories are based on an unreal world. Maybe it makes a movie more fantastic and mysterious.
I'm looking forward to someone making a movie reminiscent of Escher's work.

3 comments:

  1. Inception definitely has a cool manipulation of 3d space.

    Have you heard of a computer game called 'Antichamber'? It also manipulates 3d space in unusual ways and you have to think creatively to navigate through the game. Perhaps it is something you may like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsnm2nOnso
      Here is the trailer for Antichamber. I'm sure you will notice that some impossible stairs feature prominently in the video!

      Delete
    2. That's interesting.
      Thanks for the information.

      Delete