20 May 2018

The other side of the lens

I think anyone has an experience to peep into the lens; magnifying glass, microscope or telescope. Isn't it exciting to see something you cannot see with your naked eyes?

I like microscopes. The first time I bought a microscope, I was very excited and saw anything at random, whatever I could get a sample around me; onion peel, pond water, bird's feather, my hair and so on.

One day, I hit a mosquito and what I had done was, of course, I saw a mosquito with a microscope. I hadn't seen an insect until then. What I saw was an ugly face that I would never say it looked cute. It reminded me of a scene of the movie "Alien." I couldn't believe that I hit that with my bare hand and suddenly felt like washing my hands.

If you have a child who doesn't wash his or her hands after playing with mud before eating, let him or her see mud that was taken from the hand with a microscope. You may find a tardigrade or something ugly. Yes, that's right. A microscope can be used for child training. Seeing is better than hearing.


In this sense, a microscope is a good tool to taste a thrill in daily life. You know why? As I experienced, looking in a microscope makes you see what you don't expect. It's sometimes ugly, beautiful or something beyond your imagination.



I know there are people who love thriller movies. I don't see thriller movies much, but if I were a thriller movie fan, I would peep into an eyepiece of a microscope, because a microscope will lead you to an amazing world. The world you can see in the lens is not a fiction like a movie and that makes you feel more thrilled. I guess you have never thought that you hit an alien with your bare hand.


Nowadays, there are alternatives devices that can be used as a microscope. So, even if you don't have a microscope, for example, you can see the microworld using a smartphone or digital microscopes.


Once you see the microworld around you, you will begin to look at the things around you in a different way.

photo credit: Elsie esq. Fine rotative table Microscope 11 via photopin (license) photo credit: J. Data Imagery Num6_SeaIce_20um_20X_04202018_1 via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment