13 Apr 2018

My memory of Rubik's Cube

I still remember the first time I heard the name of Rubik's Cube.
There was an article about Rubik's Cubes in a newspaper and lots of TV stations introduced this new type of puzzle. It was colourful and didn't look like any other puzzles that I had seen. It looked very modern to me.

My family wasn't the type of people who snap new products up, but when Rubik's Cube was released, something was different. After several days later than seeing the news, my father bought it. I didn't expect it, so I was surprised and excited. 

"Wow!"

Now, here it was, brand new and the puzzle of the topic all over the world in front of me! I was excited but couldn't play with it immediately. I thought if I rotated pieces three or four times, it would be complicated. I grabbed it and rotated it carefully, first rotation, second rotation and third rotation. I counted in my mind. I remembered which part of the puzzle I rotated, so I rotated back every piece to the first position.
"Phew." 


I was afraid to not be able to take it back to the first position. I was very careful.

Wait a minute! This puzzle is not supposed to be played with like this. All right, I had to gather up all my courage. I rotated it a lot at random. I gazed at the puzzle in which every piece of colour was mixed.
"Oh, I finally did it."


I had been struggling to make every colour back to the first layout. It was a good puzzle for killing time and what I realized was I was not good at this kind of puzzle. A few months or maybe more had passed, I still couldn't solve it.
I was almost giving up. Then, my bad habit came up to my mind.

"What is the structure of Rubik's Cube made of?"


I peeked into a small interstice between pieces and then, grabbed one piece with my fingers and tried to move it a little. A piece moved!

"Hmm."


Then, I did the most disgraceful thing as a puzzle lover. Can you guess what I did? I took a piece by force. It came out! Then I put it back by force again.

"Aha!"


So that means I could pull all the pieces out and put them back as if I solved the puzzle. I wanted to move all the pieces back to the first position, yet I didn't want to use force. It's not elegant at all. Unfortunately, what I understood at the time was the structure of Rubik's Cube, not the solution.

After that, I hadn't touched the Rubik's Cube until my father passed away. When my father passed away, I put the Rubik's Cube into his coffin with my feelings of gratitude.


This is a little bitter but sweet memory of my Rubik's Cube.

No comments:

Post a Comment