11 Apr 2018

Dusting my old dream - Automata


There are lots of interesting things in the world. I don't know whether it's good or bad, but my attention goes to various fields. However, there is one thing that has been on my mind for a long time and is unforgettable. It's automata. 

It was a long time ago, when I was in Japan, that I went to Yokohama to see automata. If my memory is correct, Rob Ives's creations were displayed in the hall of the Yokohama Landmark Tower and I bought a book "PaperAutomata."

Rob Ives's creation was new to me. I hadn't known his creations until then, but I knew Japanese traditional automata. Japanese call them Karakuri dolls. Karakuri is similar to mechanisms with tricky ideas. One of the most famous automata is a tea-serving doll. One Japanese publishing company, Gakken, has started selling kits of tea-serving dolls. (It seems all the kits have sold out now.)
Here is the video of a tea-serving doll.


Tea-serving dolls look very advanced to me, but it's too far to understand its mechanism. However, when I saw Rob Ives's book, I thought I may be able to make something like an automaton. His real wooden works are very complicated and artistic, but his book indicated simple paper automata for beginners. His book gave me a little hope. The reason why I say "a little hope" is because, at the time, I didn't have a woodworking environment.

One day, when I was watching TV, a man who makes automata was introduced. His name is Kazuaki Harada. He has been making amazing automata. Looking at his creations, I can feel his sense of humor as well as his woodworking skill. Luckily, I found his Twitter account and I can see his current activities. He has been working energetically and participates in the worldwide event "World Wood Day." 


On seeing his creations, my old dream that was put away deep in my mind has come back. I made several gears using an electric scroll saw. Acquiring woodworking skills are not easy and also designing automata is difficult. I considered some ideas and noticed that some of them didn't work. I always have a ball-point pen and a small memo pad just in case I come up with good ideas. You know, there is an old saying that every fish that escapes appears greater than it is.


Honestly, I was still unsure if I really could make an automaton. The difference from when I first saw automata in Yokohama and where I live now is that I have a woodworking place for puzzles and tools. I can use them for making automata. If I won't challenge it now, the next chance won't come.
It's time to dust my old dream and go for it!

Hopefully, one day I am able to show you my first automaton here.


* Rob Ives
* Build: The Gakken Karakuri Tea Serving Robot
* Kazuaki Harada

No comments:

Post a Comment