28 Apr 2018

I love Stairs


I love boxes. As I wrote in the blog on 26th of April, I made lots of paper boxes when I was small. When I made paper boxes, I lived on the fourth floor of a 5-story housing complex and used stairs every day. The view from the veranda was very nice and I could see the beautiful night view of Tokyo, which was beautiful as if a jewel box had been overturned and scattered jewels.

I loved night views and there was one more thing I loved; stairs. Just so that you won't be misunderstood, I haven't exercised and am not a sporty type, so, I don't like going up stairs; I like stairs themselves. I don't know why but I like something that gives me a feeling of three-dimensional space, and stairs are one of them.


Cups which have stairs inside

About seven years ago, I was surfing the net and found interesting cups. You see the picture below; this cup has stairs inside. Isn't it strange? I like this nonsense idea of making stairs in a cup.


I bought four cups of these. Until I received the cups I didn't notice that this cup is a little inconvenient when I stir sugar because the spoon always hits the stairs, but I still like it. I love stairs but it's not like other hobbies, it's difficult to collect stairs, you know? The only thing I can do is taking pictures. So, this is a precious stairs collection for me.


The dead-end staircase

Speaking of staircases, there is one I should write about. In 2009, I attended the IPP29 (the International Puzzle Party), in San Francisco. I think some readers of this blog should have been to the IPP29. During the party, I was on a tour of the Winchester Mystery House the famous huge mansion in San Jose. 

This mansion is famous for being kept under continuous construction for decades by Sarah Winchester. Here are some pictures I took. I saw several stairs there and one of them was dead-end stairs. It looks weird and stimulates curiosity. I have no idea what the dead-end stairs were made for. It reminds me of Escher's works. This is one of my favorite places I've ever been to.


I wonder myself why I love stairs.
At least I know that stairs stimulate my imagination. I like to imagine a space that is spread after going through the stairs. I had a friend who also loves stairs in Japan. I think I was lucky I even met one and I wonder if there are people who love stairs somewhere? The world is huge; I hope I'm able to meet someone who loves stairs someday through this blog.

1 comment:

  1. I also love staircases! When I was very young I would run up and down any staircase I could find - I too am not very sporty so I would get tired very quickly, but I still enjoyed it.
    I think stairs are intriguing because they almost feel like portals - with every step you are going from one space into another. There's something a little bit magical about stairs. Maybe the dead-end stairs were not for going to another floor, but another world...

    ReplyDelete