1 Jun 2024

My Challenge to Make a Marble Run Machine - Pachinko Disk & Seven Arrows

Two mechanisms have been completed this week. I've never made such progress in my work before. In fact, my husband Juno helped me a lot.


One is named Seven Arrows, and the other is Pachinko Disk. I also made rails to connect these parts to each other.


Seven Arrows is, as you can imagine by the name, seven arrows that are like rails. When they receive the ball, they bow their heads down. Once the ball goes through, their heads tilt up and the ball rolls down to the next arrow. I like the rhythm of the light movement. However, sometimes two balls come at the same time and they drop one ball, so I have to correct it.


Pachiko Disk is named after the Japanese mechanical game, Pachinko. If you don't know Pachinko, please refer to the following Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachinko

 

 

There are many screws stuck on the disk. The length between those screw heads is slightly narrower than the diameter of the balls. Therefore, they prevent the balls from dropping.

There are four wooden parts on the disk. They are obstructed and let the balls bounce at various angles, or sometimes they hold balls in a slight hollow. Sometimes, the balls that were kept in a hollow were tilted and dropped underneath at once.


Actually, Juno designed the disk parts. I first designed it, but it didn't rotate often and wasn't fun to watch. So, he managed to think of a design that rotates more. I always try to think of the best design using 3D graphic software, but until I make it and experiment, it's hard to tell which design is the best. That is why it took so long for me.



These two parts were the main projects this time. However, I had to connect all of them to other rails. It took quite a time to make those rails and a dish. The work required lots of patience.



I'll show you the progress of my marble run. Here it is. As you can see, the top left half is still empty. Well, what shall I make the next?


No comments:

Post a Comment