21 Oct 2022

Yohei Nagatomi - The Tiny Gear Accessory Creator

There was one accessory I had always wanted, and I finally bought it. It was designed and made by Yohei Nagatomi. Here is the accessory. 


Unbelievably, those tiny gears rotate perfectly and smoothly. I love the linkage mechanism, so when I saw it for the first time, I thought this was perfect for me.


Yohei creates accessories with gears based on the idea of a "wearable link mechanism."
He started the creation for the purpose of making watches. From the knowledge acquired in the process, he started making accessories. For instance, this is one of the watches he made.



Let me show you more of his unique creations.

Here is Kinetic Heart. Rotating a gear in the lower heart-shaped frame, the piston moves up and down, and the Geneva mechanism makes an intermittent motion.



One of the great things about his creative work is that he integrates various mechanisms into his work. When planetary gears are also made as his creation, it looks like this. 


Until I started writing about his creation, I didn't notice he had also made a flower-shaped automaton.


It's interesting to see the different mechanisms of the automaton because I have made the flower-shaped automaton, "Columbine" before. As a matter of course the petal movements are similar, but the mechanism is different.

As he says he is interested in watches, he has got tools I have never seen.
Look, this is a Boley's watch lathe. It's small!


This is a projector to scrutinize the shape of gears. I can imagine how much effort is required to make those small things.

His pendant head accessories are made with brass and duralumin. Duralumin is commonly used for aerospace parts; it is a very light and durable material. 


He makes those accessories by build-to-order manufacturing, so it requires about one week to be shipped. His shop can use PayPal, and it was convenient for me.

Most puzzle lovers are also gear lovers. If you are interested, please take a look at his shops.

Creema : https://www.creema.jp/c/Kinetica/item/onsale
minne :  https://minne.com/@kinetica
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Tominaga_Tech





No comments:

Post a Comment