25 Jun 2018

Theo Jansen Biped Robot

Speaking of the Netherlands, I recall a scenery of windmills.
I wonder does Theo Jansen get inspiration from windmills?

When I saw Theo Jansen's creations for the first time, I was absolutely amazed. His works satisfy the conditions I love; linkage, robot and they are not black box structures. The structure of his works and movements can be seen clearly from the outside.

Here is one of his creation's video.
  


I mean I don't hate black box type of things, but for example, if there are two puzzles, and one has hints to consider solving and another one has no hints, I prefer a puzzle with hints. I don't like puzzles that can be solved by only luck. I also like to see how the mechanism works.

Theo Jansen is a Dutch artist who is famous for creating robots that move by the wind. He has created Strandbeest, Animaris Rhinoceros Lignatus and so on.
Those creations are quite big, and the state they are moving on the beach looks very dynamic and graceful as if they are alive.


So, if you see something interesting, it's natural to feel like making it by yourself, isn't it?

Ta-dah!


Here is a kit for making a miniature Theo Jansen Biped Robot!  I bought it from Japan. This craft kit was sold by a Japanese publishing company, Gakken. All the parts in the kit were well made and it's amazing. 
 

I can promise you this is so much fun to assemble. Of course, it's more fun to move it with the wind. I found a good video on YouTube. You can see how this robot walks.



This kit was sold long ago, but it seems that they are still available in some shops. 

I think if you don't read Japanese, there are plenty of detailed pictures on the instructions and you can make it.


artfutura -Theo Jansen

Amazom - Gakken Mini Beest by Theo Jansen DYI Kit 

adafruit - Theo Jansen's Mini Strandbeest Kit by Gakken


 


No comments:

Post a Comment