31 Jul 2018

My everyday step forward

Hi, puzzle friends!

Well, I know you are expecting subjects that are related to puzzles, but this time, I'm writing about how I'm struggling to acquire English skills.
I'm going to write about how I'm struggling with puzzles, next time.

I have been writing this blog for improving my English since 24th February 2018, so it's been five months now. I'm still not sure if this blog is helpful for improving my English. What at least I know is, if I wouldn't do anything, my English ability won't improve. I believe it's better than doing nothing.

I have met and heard the cases of several people who have been overseas for a long time and cannot speak, listen, read or write the local languages. These facts show the difficulties of learning foreign languages for adults, especially languages that have different backgrounds.

Some people who have never been overseas tend to think that if they live in, for example an English-speaking country, they can speak and write English naturally. I can say it is not that simple.

If you live in a foreign country, you can learn a foreign language during your daily life. When you go shopping, order a hamburger or buy a postage stamp at a post office, there are lots of opportunities to talk to local people. You can improve a local language little by little. However, this is important, there's a pitfall. If you don't make a SPECIAL effort, you cannot go over the constant level. I realised it strongly.

What I mean by constant level is the level that can buy whatever you want at a supermarket, can order a hamburger that you want to eat and can buy postage stamps you need. Actually, buying something is not very difficult, if you cannot say what you want, you just point out the product with your fingers.
photo credit: razgriz2520 Stories Inside via photopin (license)

I read several puzzle blogs which are written by native English speakers and noticed that there are so many expressions that I have never used myself. Oh, I'm jealous. I want to write like them, write better, sophisticated sentences with wit and a little sense of humour. To acquire the skill of writing needs reading, yes, it's obvious. Reading gives me chances to encounter unknown words and expressions that I have never seen and used when I go shopping, buy a hamburger and buy postage stamps at a post office. Therefore, currently, I think that the most effective way to improve my English is reading.

I have decided that I will read books every day. I promise. I know I fail easily, so I wrote this blog just for my memorandum.
I'm looking forward to how my English ability will change in a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment