15 Jun 2018

I'm skeptical

Do you think aliens or ghosts exist in this world?
I don't think they are around us. However, I don't deny their existence just because I haven't seen them.


I think the possibility of creatures, for example bacteria, are not zero, they might be somewhere in huge space, but not ghosts. The reason is there is no evidence and I cannot convince myself logically or scientifically.


Honestly, I have a strange experience that if someone who believes in ghosts would say "There it is, you see?"


One day, my parents went to the hospital where my grandfather was hospitalized, and I was alone in the house where my grandfather used to live. It was ten minutes past ten at night, I heard someone knocking at the kitchen door. I was a bit scared, but I said, "Who is it?" Nobody answered. Then, I heard the knocking again. That was a scary moment! I dashed upstairs and crawled into bed.
The next morning, I woke up and my parents were in the kitchen. They told me that my grandfather passed away at ten minutes past ten last night.
I said that I don't believe in ghosts, but to be honest, I was chilled to hear that.

I told this story to my friends and relatives. Most of them said that my grandfather would have knocked at the door. I was surprised that people who weren't even there believe that was my dead grandfather. Why would they so easily come to that conclusion?


Here is another story.
A friend of mine had a brain tumor and had an operation about ten years ago. After the operation, she saw weird monstrous creatures several times. They were very realistic, and she saw them as if they were really there.
In advance, she was told by a doctor that she might see such a kind of hallucination, therefore she could cope correctly. She said to the monstrous creatures "I know you are not real. Leave me alone!" She said it to the monsters, but actually it was the same as saying it to her brain. The good news is that she doesn't see monsters any more.


From listening to her story, I again realised a brain is not perfect. For human beings, the rate of visual information is large. People tend to believe what they experience visually or aurally, and I think that causes misunderstanding. I know I make mistakes a lot. This is the reason that I'm skeptical even to myself.


I wouldn't say people who believe in ghosts are lying. People believe it because they think they saw it. Maybe they saw something that they cannot explain exactly what it was, that's all.


On the other hand, I knew there were people who insisted that they had supernatural power who performed so called supernatural phenomenon, but it's actually magic. I don't like their way of doing business.


So, I'm interested in what James Randi has done, also I pay attention to the activities of CSI (
The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry).

In my case, I couldn't figure out what happened that night. There should be a reason. I thought I heard the knocking sound twice that night, but maybe I didn't. It could have been a burglar who was checking if anyone was inside the house. To me, encountering a burglar is scarier than seeing my dead grandfather.
Before I draw a conclusion, I must verify and examine it from various angles carefully.


Emotionally, I can understand the feeling of people who believe in ghosts or supernatural phenomenon and so on. If I could talk with my grandfather who has died, it would be wonderful. I have lots of things that I want to tell him, but the reality doesn't go the way I want it to. To think scientifically is sometimes hard.

I have a habit to think scientifically and it makes me sometimes lose heart. Unfortunately, there are differences between our ideal and real world. Therefore, I cannot deny everything. There is something needed to fill the gap between reality and an ideal world to keep me relaxed and amused.


For example, I believe in the existence of Santa Claus. I know he is in this world. I have seen him many times at the local shopping center during the Christmas season. There is a lot of evidence of his pictures with children too. These become evidence enough.
However, there is one question that remains. I haven't seen his sled and reindeer in the parking lot of the shopping center. I wonder how he came?

No comments:

Post a Comment