7 Aug 2023

My Challenge to Make a Marble Run Machine - The Tray

Creation is a process of repeated failures as well as successes. I wonder how often I have made mistakes on my marble run machine. One of the issues with my marble run machine is the balls sometimes drop from the rail. I will fix the issue, not to drop the balls, but I don't think it will be easy to fix it 100 per cent. Then, I decided to make a tray to catch the balls falling from the rail. It can also be used for keeping the extra balls.

My husband, Junichi, gave me some beautiful timber, so I glued them together and made them a piece of the board. Here is the picture of gluing timber.

I held it with lots of clamps tightly and left it for a while. This is the board after being unwrapped. Amazingly, these colours are natural.




For use as the ball holder, it needs to be easy to get the balls. My idea was to drill a hole in the corner of the board. I'm going to make a wooden peg later. It must be convenient to pull the peg when I want the balls, the balls dropping from the hole.
Luckily, Juno gave me the idea to tilt the board, and I adopted it.


The board tilts 3 degrees and is attached to the marble run machine board. There is a groove bottom of the tray, and it's also tilted, so the balls go into the hole smoothly. It's awkward to make something tilted, but I somehow made it. I made two brackets that were also tilted.

Milling the board's surface with the CNC router is shown in the picture below.



I glued two brackets on the surface of the tray.
As it progresses, finding the room that can attach the brackets becomes more difficult.


Anyway, I could attach the tray as I wanted. The balls rotate smoothly toward the hole. 



 

 


For now, a small piece of scrap wood is placed over the hole to replace the plug.


Before ending today's blog, I wrote down the name of the timber I used for the tray for people interested in timber.





No comments:

Post a Comment