28 Jan 2023

My Challenge to Make a Marble Run Machine - Rotating Plate

I feel keenly that making something from zero isn't easy on making a
marble run machine.

I made a plate to catch the balls yesterday. It is shaped like a funnel, with a hole in the middle of the bottom. The ball catches by the plate, goes into the hole and gets on a rail to lead to the start point again. This type of part is commonly used for a marble run machine.

Here is the rotating plate. This ant hell-like cavity is the same shape as a triangular pyramid. This time, I used the extension data, "STL", for the first time. STL is commonly used for 3D printing. I didn't know how to do it, so my husband exported the data.

 

Then, he gave me an idea. Firstly, run the CNC with the mode of the waterline. After cutting with the waterline mode, many fibres appeared and looked like a hairy doormat.
There are annual rings and fibres in timber. Depending on the direction, fibres that couldn't be cut remain. The fibres are durable, and getting rid of them is tough.

He gave me the second idea. Run the CNC router vertically, and after that, run the machine horizontally. It worked very well. All the stood-up fibres have gone.


Making the rotating plate took two days. I didn't think it needed so much time. How long would it need to complete it?




No comments:

Post a Comment